Planning your perfect adventure can come with a lot of increased challenges, especially if you’re doing so on a low budget. From booking airfare and hotel accommodations to setting aside money for food and activities, the costs of a vacation can add up quickly. So why not consider going with a travel destination that doesn’t break the bank while still sparking your wanderlust? Let’s take a closer look at what budget-friendly travel destination is the best fit for you.
Below are just some of the most underrated and magical travel options for the budget traveler!
Home to one of the seven wonders of the world and known for its vibrant culture and delicious street food, India is one unique destination you won’t want to miss. A trip to India can cost anywhere from as little as ten dollars a day to one hundred dollars a day, depending on where you’re staying and how high-end the hotel you are looking at is. Still, this destination will be sure to keep your budget in check while still giving you a memorable experience.
Some things you can do and see during your stay:
- Stay in India’s capital city – Delhi! This city offers a ton of historic mosques and monuments that will give you the full cultural experience.
- Take a day trip to the Taj Mahal and check out one of the most iconic mausoleums in the world.
- Stay in the bustling city of Mumbai, known for being home of Bollywood and its massive colonial buildings.
- If you’re traveling in March, consider joining in on the annual Holi festival or “festival of colours.”
- Go backpacking in Manali, a Himalayan resort town.
- Check out the wildlife at Ranthambore National Park.
There are a lot of options when it comes to choosing the perfect itinerary for your Indian getaway. But whatever you decide to do or see, India is an amazing country and travel destination that is perfect for budget or luxury travelers alike!
Known for its jaw-dropping, magnificent ancient temples, Cambodia is an up and coming (very cheap!) Southeast Asian destination for tourists. If you’re looking for an exotic destination with picture-perfect islands and scenic jungles, this is the place you’re looking for!
Some of their most notable attractions include the ancient city Angkor Thom, Royal Buddhist Palace -The Silver Pagoda, and the ancient Bayon Temple settled in lush green scenery. Wherever you decide to explore, the wonder and ancient overgrown cities and temples will be a sight to behold!
How to Stay Safe:
- Know the Risks: Research the crime in whatever area you’re staying in. If you are staying in a high-end resort, chances are security precautions will be in place already. Understanding how risky the areas you’re visiting will better prepare you for the worst.
- Stick to Popular Areas: Although local hidden gems can enhance your trip, it may be best to stay in more tourist or popular areas. This way, you’ll be able to find your way around more easily should something happen, rather than being stuck in a more remote location.
- Don’t Leave Valuables Unattended: Lastly, it’s important to keep all your valuables in a secure location. Wearing a cross-body bag will likely be safer than holding valuables or carrying a clutch, which can be more easily stolen.
- Have a Plan: In the worst-case scenario, having a plan should your items be stolen is imperative. Using a smartphone-friendly banking app without fees that could easily be frozen and monitored if stolen will be sure to save you a lot of stress and heartache, and help you avoid additional foreign-related transaction costs while making purchases while you’re abroad too.
All this being said, staying safe and having a wonderful budget-friendly trip is completely possible with the right measures in place. With these precautions in place and remember to stay vigilant, your vacation to Cambodia can be a true success. Angkor Archaeological Park, here we come!
3. The Philippines
Although it may not be the typical tropical island that comes to mind when searching for travel destinations, it certainly has beach views that will take your breath away. For as little as thirty-five dollars a day, exploring the Philippines is an easily accessible task for the budget traveler! From hiking Taal Volcano to relaxing along the beach, the Philippines are great for both the adventure fanatic and the beachgoer alike. If you’re looking for the perfect tropical getaway at an affordable price, this may be the winner for you!
There are many islands that are a part of the Philippines, so be sure to look into each island’s attractions to find the one that’ll be the best fit for your preferences. While Luzon is their most populated island, there are lots of adventures and hiking to be had on their other islands, including Negros and Samar. Do some digging to find out which island has destinations and attractions that best suit your needs.
Tip before your trip: Although English is commonly spoken in the Philippines, knowing the basics in their native language will be important when talking to locals and finding your way around. Make sure that you do some research on the language the island and region you’re staying in speaks, as their official language Tagalog has several different dialects that could make learning key phrases tricky to understand without the proper knowledge.
- The Must-Do Island Hopping Boat Tour from El Nido to Coron, Philippines
- 10 Top Things to do in El Nido, Philippines
- Club Paradise Palawan, Philippines
- Where to Eat in El Nido, Philippines
This Eastern European destination is a great getaway if you want to see some historic architecture and immerse yourself in culture. From St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery to their capital Kyiv’s marvelous riverside views, this is a destination you won’t want to miss. For the backpacker or budget traveler, you can stay here at a low cost and only get charged between twenty and twenty-five dollars a day, making it a realistic and affordable option for budget travelers to explore without worrying about their expenses as much!
Some things you can do and see during your stay:
- Check out Golden Gate, a reconstruction of the Golden Gate of Constantinople.
- Snap a picture under Kyiv’s Friendship of Nations Arch, which has beautiful views of Dnieper River.
- See a show at the National Opera of Ukraine.
- Take a dip at Arcadia Beach, a popular destination for locals.
- Explore the beauty of M.M. Hryshko National Botanical Garden.
Finding free or affordable attractions can be done with ease and take some of the stress and financial burden out of your trip. Remember, walking along the streets of Kyiv and immersing in the hustle and bustle of the city is completely free! Find the attractions closest to your area that will bring you joy and leave lasting memories for a lifetime.
South America has a lot to offer in general for travelers, but especially this coastal country! From the food to the museums, there is so much versatility in what you can do while visiting Colombia. Whether it’s camping in their national parks or exploring their cities, there’s a lot that Colombia has to offer for all kinds of travelers, especially coffee lovers!
Most hostels cost just eight to fourteen dollars a day, so accommodations and attractions alike will certainly fit budgets big and small. As far as finding food to accommodate your budget, Colombia has lots of affordable and delicious street food options that will be sure to satisfy your hunger and wallet too.
Tip before your trip: Besides hostel and/or hotel accommodations, you’ll want to budget in local transportation. Local transportation is big in Colombia, so getting to know the prices and how to get around will be essential before your trip. Make sure you research how much a typical taxi should cost. Using taxi apps can also assist you when getting around town!
Even if you’re not planning on climbing Mount Everest anytime soon, Nepal is still a beautiful mountainous destination with jaw-dropping views. If you’re an adventure junkie or a nature lover, Nepal is the perfect place to go on your next trip! A picture really is worth a thousand words when it comes to Nepal’s incredibly beautiful Himalayan mountain views. Whether you’re interested in long mountainous treks or looking for a simple hike with some epic views, Nepal will be sure to satisfy.
Multi-day treks in Nepal can vary greatly in price depending on the exact location and how many days you’ll be spending there. After deciding on a price range, make sure you look at exactly how difficult the trek is and how long you think you’ll be able to keep up. Trekking (or hiking) in Nepal can be quite strenuous, so be sure you prepare your body and mind beforehand!
How to prepare for a trek in Nepal:
- Practice, practice, practice: Even the most seasoned hiker may find difficulty in these treks, so be sure that you’re hiking frequently in the months and weeks leading up to the trip.
- Find the best hiking boots for you: Hiking boots can really make or break a trip with so much physical activity taking place. Make sure you have boots that are comfortable and broken into to make sure you are as comfortable as possible while in Nepal.
- Get used to higher altitudes: This will be especially important if you live in an area with lower elevation, as many of these treks reach in the tens of thousands of feet above sea level. Try hiking locally in more mountainous areas to get acclimated as much as you can.
If you’re up for the challenge of a long trek and strenuous endeavor, Nepal is the place for you. No matter how you prepare, having your dream vacation, and getting to see the Himalayan mountains in person will be well worth it in the end.
- Our 4 Day Trek to Ghorepani Poon Hill, Nepal
- Pokhara, Nepal; Everything You Need to Know
- An Introductory Guide to Kathmandu, Nepal
- 3 days in Kathmandu, Nepal
While many countries in Europe tend to run higher in price, Romania is one European destination that is perfect for travelers on a budget! But this destination isn’t just known for being the home to Transylvania and the birthplace of Dracula. It is also home to numerous historic castles and palaces that will feel picture perfect. Getting around Romania will only cost you around ten dollars a day, so budget travelers can be sure to see the beauty and majesty this country has to offer without going over budget. There are also tons of scenic hikes and mountainous views to check out as well!
Tip before your trip: A trip to “Dracula’s Castle” can cost up to nine euros or eleven US dollars on admission alone, so it’s important that you budget properly if this is a must-see on your list. Additionally, if you want to add on extra tours, this can also be done at an added cost. Make sure you put this tour in as an expense when calculating your budget to ensure you won’t be going over and are able to see all your desired attractions.
All of this being said, Romania is a great place to stay for travelers on a budget. Spark your childlike wonder and curiosity with the scenic majesty of historic castles and palaces with this getaway!
Budget constraints don’t have to be what’s stopping you from traveling frequently. Planning your perfect vacation on a budget isn’t easy, but with a little bit of time and dedication, you can have amazing experiences even the most luxurious traveler will envy.
Here are some last-minute tips to help you stay in line with your budget!
- Pack lightly to ensure you aren’t spending too much on checked baggage or overweight luggage.
- Keep a spreadsheet with all of your expenses before the trip and update it as your trip progresses.
- Consider staying at a hostel during your trip to cut down on accommodation costs.
- Have an itinerary in mind that will allow you to track how much public transport you’ll need to use during your stay.
- Try out street food vendors as a more affordable alternative to eating at restaurants every day.
Be sure to check out these underrated destinations when planning your next trip, which is hopefully sooner rather than later!